www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:22:21 GMT
Santiago Gala ha scritto:
> I'm not really sure what we are trying to achieve here, but a file
> committed by a Sun employee, that has signed a CLA, while working under
> Sun direction, etc. *is licensed under AL 2.0*

This is a very dangerous "statement". I committed many files to the ASF
repositories under the CDDL, the BSD, the MIT, the MPL licenses (being
them jars, xmls or other files) but this does not means they are now AL
2.0 and copyrighted to ASF.

We knew I could commit them because their license allow us to
redistribute/use them inside our ASLv2 projects but this doesn't means
they are now ALv2 (and the LICENSE in the root of our redistributable
has a specific footer to explain what are the licenses for this files)

Sometimes I submitted java files created by me and without the license
headers (by mistake): the approach of my PMC to this issues was to ask
me if I was the author of that files and ask me to add the license
header because they thought it was not obvious that a file committed by
me without the license header was explicitly contributed under the CLA.

IMHO the interpretation of my PMC was correct: otherwise I fear that
most ASF around already violated copyrights for many files they committed.

About this specific issue I don't think that the ASF should treat a SUN
employee differently from any other committer: if the file has been
committed with the ASF header then you are right, otherwise the people
that changed the header is responsible for the licensing mistake. If
using the original header the file was not compliant with ASF 3rd party
"rules" then the PMC should have oversight on this and fixed the issue
speaking to the committer and not altering the header to their preference.

Stefano