www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:01:06 GMT

On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:28 AM, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAIK, a version of these files without the problematic headers
>>> exists in the various specification documents.
>> This unfortunately doesn't help. The license for the
>> specifications is not an Apache-compatible license.
>
> This would mean we cannot ship a proper Servlet API JAR, and I see
> no way an ASF project can hope to implement any JCP specifications
> then :)

Let me clarify. I should have said that the license for the
specifications is not an Apache license.

My point is that just because an API is published in a specification
does not mean that an Apache project can assign an Apache license to
it after typing it into machine-readable form.

The intellectual property remains with the specification, which is
governed by the specification license unless superseded by another
license in the machine-readable code.

Sun recently released the older specification xsd's under a joint GPL/
CDDL license which should solve this issue for all relevant Sun-led
JSRs.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about the specific files that
were being developed by Sun in Apache. That's the issue that started
this thread but not the issue being discussed now.

Craig

> Rémy

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com