www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comments on GPLv3
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:36:48 GMT
On 6/11/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> You are certainly correct in the case of AL + LGPL.  In the case of GPL?
> Please expand upon your thought.

Don't know whether Robert is thinking in this direction, but see the
following paragraph from  section 5:

    A compilation of a covered work with other separate and independent works,
    which are not by their nature extensions of the covered work, in
or on a volume
    of a storage or distribution medium, is called an "aggregate" if
the compilation
    and its resulting copyright are not used to limit the access or
legal rights of the
    compilation's users beyond what the individual works permit.
Inclusion of a covered
    work in an aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the
other parts of the
    aggregate.

I may get the phrase "are not used to limit the access or legal rights
of the compilation's users beyond what the individual works permit"
wrong, but I read this as a permission for a different license of the
aggregate, if the users rights on the GPL'ed modules remain intact.

Jochen

Reading Larry Rosens comments (
http://www.rosenlaw.com/GPLv3-Comments.htm ), I find the following
paragraph:

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf