www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Comments on GPLv3
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:36:29 GMT
On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> I'm sure Jeff will speak for himself, but I read his earlier
> comment as
> saying that the GPLv3 portion of a collective work remains under
> GPLv3, just
> as the Apache portion of a collective work remains under the Apache
> License.
> Nothing in the collective work license (which can be *any* license)
> changes
> those facts.

Right, I think this is just an issue of us tripping over some
legal terminology.

Justin is thinking of the "union of license restrictions" for all
portions of an overall package, which may be different from the
"collective work" license that might apply through our activity of
collecting together such an overall work.

Since the ASF (currently) requires that the union be no more
restrictive than the Apache License for our release packages,
our policy is to not distribute GPL portions within our own
software releases.  However, I think it is now safe to distribute
software that uses GPLv3 portions when distributed separately,
provided that our software is "not by their nature extensions
of the [GPLv3] covered work".

....Roy