www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC generated parser for Harmony...
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:07:13 GMT
> Depending upon the opinion we get here... the actual grammar would
> reside outside Harmony, but the generated parser code would be
> distributed as part of the Harmony product.
>
> Harmony has a number of dependencies on third-party works maintained
> outside the project (not under LGPL I hasten to add).

Unless the person who wrote the grammar specifically says that the
produced parser code is in the public domain or is licensable under
the ALv2, then Harmony should not be distributing such parser code.
IOW, the produced parser code is a derivative work of the grammar, so
whatever license terms apply to the grammar should be assumed to be
applied to the parser code.  Yes, this is a conservative
interpretation, but I feel the safest one.  -- justin