www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC generated parser for Harmony...
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:43:36 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Umm, the original email says the grammar is LGPL, not the parser
> generator.  That sounds more like the source code than the compiler to
> me.

Garrett, I know you grok the technical terms, but if I may phrase it
more broadly for everyone...

The tool's input file (grammar source code) is licensed as LGPLv2.1.
It is passed through the generator tool, which is licensed as BSD, to
produce the tool's output file (Java source code).

Our contributor would like to contribute the tool's output file (only)
to Apache Harmony, and we were unsure what effect the tool's 'mechanical
transformation' of input file to output file had.

Authors of the tool itself appear to claim no restrictions on the tool's
output [1], but given the obvious analogy with source->binary compilers
it would seem that the input file source license is most relevant.

The question is: Should we consider the output file also to be LGPL
licensed and deal with it under those terms?

[1] http://www.engr.mun.ca/~theo/JavaCC-FAQ/javacc-faq-moz.htm#tth_sEc1.7

Regards,
Tim