www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC generated parser for Harmony...
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:37:53 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

>> I don't see any license headers in the generated artifacts.
>
> That sounds to me to be too easy. If anything is a "derived work",
> then it's surely the result of a parser generator. In other words, I
> doubt that we can dissolve the license of the grammar from the license
> of the parser generator result.
I guess I would disagree, although I certainly could be wrong. While the
parser generator may have its own license, I would think the grammar
being processed would be owned by whoever created it and could be under
whatever license is desired. The output of the parser generator would
seem to me to be more a derivative of the grammar than the generator.

How is this really different than the Java (or any other language's)
compiler? The source code is owned by the author and the binaries are
also the author's. The processing used to convert the source to the
binary isn't really in the picture. It is just a tool which you have to
have the appropriate license to use that converts the source into
another format.

Ralph