www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Including ICU modules with Apache projects
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 04:30:01 GMT
We would like to include some ICU modules (http://www.icu-project.org/)
in an upcoming release of the C++ version of Apache UIMA, in order to
support Unicode (ICU = International Components for Unicode).

The license for this,
http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu/trunk/license.html,
resembles the X.Net license that is on Cliff's
(http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
<http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html>) "Category A".  But it
is not *exactly* the same license.

The differences are the following:

X.Net includes (explicitly) permissions to sublicense, but this is
missing as an *explicit* permission in the ICU version.

X.Net requires the copyright and permission notice to appear in copies
of the software, while the ICU requires the
copyright and permission notice to appear in  copies of both the
*documentation* as well as the software.

The disclaimer (i.e. "THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", etc.) in ICU
has an additional clause following
"INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, which changes
"NONINFRINGEMENT. " to
"NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS."

X.Net says
"IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE" ... while
the ICU says
"IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR HOLDERS INCLUDED IN THIS
NOTICE BE LIABLE".

X.Net includes a "This agreement shall be governed..." while the ICU
license has no such clause.

Finally, the ICU license includes a prohibition against using the name
of the copyright holder in advertising, marketing, etc.
without prior permission from the copyright holder; the X.Net has no
such restriction.

Given these differences, I'm not sure I can rely on Cliff's category "A"
*OK* for X.Net as being OK for the ICU license -
so I'd like to get a definitive reading on whether it is OK to include
the ICU modules in Apache distributions.

-Marshall Schor