www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are Gentleware community edition terms of usage acceptable ?
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:07:08 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Poseidon UML to draw cool schemas. Now, I'm facing a
> difficult choice, as the free edition is quite limited :
> 1) I buy the standard edition (56$ a year, not very expensive, as I'm
> in europ, and as € is quite strong ;) _but_ it will be for my own
> usage
> 2) we ask for the community edition, available for the team, under the
> following terms :
>
>    * The logo 'Sponsored by Apollo for Eclipse' or 'Sponsored by
> Poseidon for UML' must appear on the member project's website, no
> smaller than 135x55 pixels.
>    * The logo must function as a hyperlink to the Gentleware website:
> www.gentleware.com.
>    * Gentleware may refer to the member project as a Gentleware
> customer in marketing and sales materials, both online and in print.
>    * The license(s) remains the property of Gentleware AG. The
> license(s) is rented, not sold. Licensee may not sell, redistribute,
> encumber, give, lend, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer
> the license. The license(s) granted is only for the project specified
> and may not be transferred.
>
> Are those four points acceptable? Point #4 seems ok to me, point #1
> and #2 are quite acceptable, as we already have logo of other products
> pointing to the company web-site (YourKit, JetBrains). But point #3
> seems quite embarrassing.
>
> wdyt? What is the Apache position ?

Not speaking officially, only from experience.

#4 is fine, #1-#3 are not. The reasoning as I have had it explained to
me / seen it explained is that a software licence donation cost the
grantor nothing in real terms (whereas hard cash or a hardware
donation does).

It is worth comparing what they are asking for with
http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

What I don't now is how much of this is Apache policy and how much is
left up to the PMC. The PRC list might be a better place to ask this
question.

Mark