www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <m...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on GPLv3
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:23:11 GMT
(just explaining how I look at it, so you are able to show where I went wrong ;)

Quote from the license :
"A compilation of a covered work with other separate and independent works, which are not
by their
nature extensions of the covered work, in or on a volume of a storage or distribution medium,
is
called an "aggregate" if the compilation and its resulting copyright are not used to limit
the
access or legal rights of the compilation's users beyond what the individual works permit.
Inclusion
of a covered work in an aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the other parts
of the
aggregate."

Which translates for me just like rule number 9 of the OSD (http://www.opensource.org), which
is in
turn nothing different than GPL v 2 has, only in GPL 3 they mention this intention explicitly.

So people don't have to look it up : OSD rule 9 = License must not restrict other software.

Or am I missing a big thing here ? I see a collective work (in the GPL sense) as a work that
contains the GPL'ed work, but is not a derivate work, which is not a "direct" reference to
OSD rule 9.

Mvgr,
Martin