www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Comments on GPLv3
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:45:57 GMT
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> That reads like GPL3 code can contain Apache/Eclipse licensed code.
> Not that Apache code can contain GPL3.
>
> Is that right? Or do I miss a point.
>
> (I am not a lawyer ;))

Nor am I.  You are correct, the collective license of ALv2 + GPLv3 must
be GPLv3.  That's the license of the combined work.  Unless the GPLv3
elements are dual licensed, in which case they can be combined in either
way.

The bottom line is that aggregated GPLv3 works can't add restrictions
to the license.  Decrees that the AL restrictions fit within the scope
of the GPLv3 restrictions is a win for folks who want to combine our code.