www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JavaCC generated parser for Harmony...
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:00:53 GMT

On Jun 26, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> Umm, the original email says the grammar is LGPL, not the parser
>> generator.  That sounds more like the source code than the
>> compiler to
>> me.
>
> Garrett, I know you grok the technical terms, but if I may phrase it
> more broadly for everyone...
>

> The tool's input file (grammar source code) is licensed as LGPLv2.1.
> It is passed through the generator tool, which is licensed as BSD, to
> produce the tool's output file (Java source code).
>
> Our contributor would like to contribute the tool's output file (only)
> to Apache Harmony, and we were unsure what effect the tool's
> 'mechanical
> transformation' of input file to output file had.
>
> Authors of the tool itself appear to claim no restrictions on the
> tool's
> output [1], but given the obvious analogy with source->binary
> compilers
> it would seem that the input file source license is most relevant.
>
> The question is: Should we consider the output file also to be LGPL
> licensed and deal with it under those terms?

IANAL, but it seems that a mechanically produced output would have
the same license terms as the source whence it was derived. So I'd
say that the output file should be considered LGPL as well.

But I also heard someone say that the grammar was modified. The act
of modifying it takes it out of the LGPL world, as the modified
grammar is itself a derived work, and I don't see how the LGPL
license applies to the derived work.

Craig