www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: CCLA: "by combination" language
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 14:47:22 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> a submission is made not to an ASF project, per se, but
> rather to the ASF. You cannot say "this is donated to
> the ASF, but only for project Foo".

Code licensed under the Apache License is free for all to use in whatever
manner they see fit, but it is granted within a context.  I believe that the
intent is for any implied patent grants to be those required to use the code
in the context within which it was donated, and that combining it with other
contexts might require other patent grants that were not granted.  So I
would agree with the discussion I'm seeing between Bill and Michael.

But IANAL and this is not a statement of definitive ASF policy.  Nor should
it be taken as endorsing the validity of the concept of software patents,
much less any specific one.

	--- Noel