www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache license 2.1 and 2.2?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 01:34:59 GMT
On 3/30/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > I'd be fascinated to know exactly which agent appeared in the capacity
> > of the ASF at the summit.  I know of no plans nor progress on AL 2.1
> > or 2.2. That said, any member could propose a new license to members@,
> > it's reception if Academics believe they deserve some 'special exemption'
> > from the thermonuclear litigation clause could be very cold.
>
> My bad - following the link answers the question quite clearly.
>
> Cliff, if you made some announcements at the forum w.r.t. the ASL, would
> you mind sharing these publicly?  (Particularly before we read them on
> another forum ;-)

Sure  -- I was going to wait until the universities signed off on my
latest draft of v2.2 (we actually had a v2.1 earlier but scrapped it
when it went off too far in the wrong direction).  I can't talk about
the details just yet, but I'm basically just making some changes to
the patent grant to address university patent-scope concerns while
also fixing the problem with how the patent CLA issue was being
interpreted.

I'll explain more tomorrow (April 2nd) when I have more time.

Cliff