www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: RXTX library and ASL
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:38:57 GMT
> Ceki Gulcu a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is new to me. Can anyone else confirm the statement "until you
> > don't distribute the LGPL libraries, you can depend on it"  ?
>
> I think you can't, as stated in http://wiki.apache.org/old/Licensing :
> "...LGPL - Shall *not* use either Java import or C #include. Shall *not*
> /static/ link. ..."
>
> So you can't use Interfaces declared in a LGPL program, it seems.
>
> But this is not clear... The mentionned threadis 100 mails long, and
> full of other considerations.
>
> I would suggest we ask Clifft during ApacheCon in May, so we have a
> clear answer.
>
> Incidentally, Ceki, this raise an issue with your new Logback library.
> Any way for you to switch back to the 'old good' ASL license ?

Umm, anything in that wiki page strikes me as having the potential to
be very out of date.

The most up to date info on this sort of thing is currently:

http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

As far as LGPL, there are ways to depend on LGPL libraries, but it's
certainly not encouraged and you absolutely can't ship their binaries.
 See the 3rd party libraries page for details.

-garrett