www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jesse Kuhnert" <jkuhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RXTX library and ASL
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:06:05 GMT
I think (with the caveat that I'm no one and don't know much ) it's been
approved generally already:

"
You could also have the PMC distribute a demo app that considers
Hibernate a system requirement, since "YOU MAY include code within
the Apache product necessary to achieve compatibility with a
prohibited work through the use of API calls, "bridge code", or
protocols, provided that the compatibility code was contributed under
a CLA." -- see http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#options-<http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html#options->
inproduct.
"

The biggest points I remember hearing are that you must:

-) Never actually distribute a binary of the actual lgpl code on apache
servers - you can write code that depends on it but not actually distribute
"it"..Ie a hibernate library can exist but we can't ship hibernate.

-) Have a very prominent clause written somewhere clearly in the
documentation / section of distribution that relies on third party lgpl code
to make it clear to users that this particular portion of the distribution
relies on non ASF 2.0 licensed code . Generally just make sure they know
what they're getting into so they don't accidently use lgpl code without
knowing because they assumed everything related to the ASF will always be
100% ASF licensed.

Something like that anyways...