www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject RXTX library and ASL
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:24:16 GMT
Hi community,

Recently, one of the Apache MINA committers merged serial port
communication code as an optional submodule to the trunk, which was in
the sandbox for a long time.  The code depends on a Java serial port
communication library called 'RXTX' (http://www.rxtx.org/).

Being a stupid, I thought it *was* licensed  under LGPL, but it is now
licensed under ASL 2.0, but it was not.    It is still licensed under
LGPL with an exception clause like Hibernate does.

http://users.frii.com/jarvi/rxtx/license.html

I guess it's still prohibited to depend on RXTX even if there's an
exception clause, even if we use it as a binary form, right?

If so, is there any way other than moving the submodule to other
hosting site?  (I think there's no other way, but I'm just
double-checking. ;)

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/