www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MySQL licensing policy
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:54:11 GMT
> The way I understand it, MySQL AB is basically saying that any
> implementation of the MySQL protocol is a derivative work of the MySQL
> server and must therefor be licensed under the GPL.  This is
> incongruent with projects like Samba that have reversed engineered
> Microsoft protocols.  Is MySQL AB's policy really enforceable?

IANAL ...but I see a difference to Samba. Samba has been implemented
without any documentation about the protocol. And they were really
carefully to make sure that was the case.

IMO implementing a protocol forcing a license onto the actual
implementation is absolutely wrong - but that is just my personal
opinion.

> If anyone has any insight into this it would be very helpful.

Maybe you should rather ask the FSF?

cheers
--
Torsten