www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Wikipedia content, GNU Free Documentation License and Apache
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 04:23:26 GMT
On 4/24/07, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> We on Lucene Java are _considering_ mirroring a specific version of
> Wikipedia's collection for testing and benchmarking purposes on our
> zones account for people to download to run specific tests related to
> search performance and quality.  It is important that we use a
> specific version so that it is repeatable. WikiMedia doesn't archive
> for long enough for their links to be reliable, therefore we cannot
> just grab the latest version from Wikipedia.  See [1] for more
> details if interested.
>
> The content, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GFDL, is licensed under the GNU Free
> Documentation License.  More details can be found at [2].
>
> I guess the question is, is this all right?  http://en.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights seems to say this would be OK, but IANAL
> and all that stuff.  Anyone have experience with how ASF deals with
> the GFDL in this kind of situation?  I suppose we could look into
> hosting off site, too, but would rather it be controlled by us.

As long as you do not distribute the Wikipedia database in a Lucene
release and just have a copy hosted on your Lucene zone or something
similar so that committers can get at it easily, I don't see a
particular problem here.  If you make changes to the documentation or
whatever, you would just need to follow the rules of GFDL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html).

BTW, would you need to commit the database to Subversion?  (I'd
certainly hope not.)

HTH.  -- justin