www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Handling a license violation
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:15:34 GMT
Hi,

On 4/12/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 04:05, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > I believe and hope that the issue can be resolved simply by politely
> > asking them to honor the conditions of section 4 of the Apache
> > License.
>
> IANAL, but I think this is the most apparent resolve.
>
> Mind you, if this is an FSF backed project, and it is ALv2, then FSF will have
> additional opinion about the use of ALv2 in GPL'd code.

It's a private company that makes it's sources available under the
GPL. I believe it's a case of using the code first in-house and then
deciding to "make it open source" by releasing everything under the
GPL without much internal IP clearance.

> Also, there are "common sense" concerns relating to "fair use" which shouldn't
> trigger licensing requirements. Sun for instance, is Ok with 5-10 lines and I
> think FSF is recommending 10 lines as the limit of "copy" before licensing
> terms kicks in. So, if it is only a really small block, I would not bother.

The component in question is about 17.000 lines total. I suspect that
they're using Apache code also in other places, but didn't yet do a
full review.

PS. If someone is interested in the exact details, I can give the
pointers in private. I don't want to name the suspects in a public
archive as I believe this can be resolved nicely in private.

BR,

Jukka Zitting