www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RXTX library and ASL
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:47:57 GMT
Garrett Rooney a écrit :

> On 4/21/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ceki Gulcu a écrit :
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > This is new to me. Can anyone else confirm the statement "until you
>> > don't distribute the LGPL libraries, you can depend on it"  ?
>>
>> I think you can't, as stated in http://wiki.apache.org/old/Licensing :
>> "...LGPL - Shall *not* use either Java import or C #include. Shall *not*
>> /static/ link. ..."
>>
>> So you can't use Interfaces declared in a LGPL program, it seems.
>>
>> But this is not clear... The mentionned threadis 100 mails long, and
>> full of other considerations.
>>
>> I would suggest we ask Clifft during ApacheCon in May, so we have a
>> clear answer.
>>
>> Incidentally, Ceki, this raise an issue with your new Logback library.
>> Any way for you to switch back to the 'old good' ASL license ?
>

> Umm, anything in that wiki page strikes me as having the potential to
> be very out of date.
>
> The most up to date info on this sort of thing is currently:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

Thanks, Garrett.

This extract from the mentionned link :

        "LGPL

The LGPL v2.1 is ineligible from being a Category B license
<http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html#category-b> (a category
that includes the MPL, CPL, EPL, and CDDL) primarily due to the
restrictions it places on larger works, violating the third license
criterion <http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html#criterion3>.
Therefore, LGPL v2.1-licensed works must not be included in Apache
products, although they may be listed as system requirements
<http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html#options-systemrequirements>
or distributed elsewhere as optional works
<http://people.apache.org/%7Ecliffs/3party.html#options-optional>."

I think that the last sentence is pretty clear to me : either you write
your own interface, or you accept compilation errors (up to the user to
download the LGPL lib interface), but you should not include any part of
this LGPL project into the repo.

Is that correct ?

Emmanuel