www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: MySQL licensing policy]
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 18:13:47 GMT
On Saturday 07 April 2007 22:53, you wrote:
> El sáb, 07-04-2007 a las 19:01 +0800, Niclas Hedhman escribió:
> > On Saturday 07 April 2007 18:50, Roland Weber wrote:
> > > The safe way is a clean room implementation: let person A
> > > analyse the GPLed code and write a specification of the protocol.
> > > Then let person B, who never looked at the GPLed code, implement
> > > the protocol "in a clean room", based exclusively on the spec
> > > written by person A.
> >
> > How can the "specification of the protocol" not be derivative work, and
> > there would also need to be GPL'd??
> > IP rights are not limited to a particular medium, form or format.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> The "specification of the protocol" is a derivative work of the protocol
> itself, not of the code.
>
> My (probably naive, IANAL, etc.) take on those questions is: if you get
> a legal copy of a protocol "description/manual/book", and you implement
> the protocol, you are not in any violation:

Yes, potentially a bit naive. If the fact is <quote>analyse the GPLed
code</quote>, then I (as a litigating attorney ;o) ) would argue that the
specification indeed is a derivative. Not much different from taking a book
and making a movie out of it.
If you do a network level packet analysis of what is transferred over the
wire, I would say that you are safe from the licensing point of view.

But maybe, I am the naive not-a-lawyer...

Cheers
Niclas