www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling a license violation
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:48:03 GMT
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 16:14 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Yes - it's a violation, removing LICENSE/NOTICE removes their only
> right to distribute the package, leaving them with no right whatsoever.

+1

the GPL exempts local modifications. distribution (or not) is less
important for the apache license. they have no right to sublicense,
create copies or derivative works either.

they need to restore LICENSE, NOTICE and license headers now. they
should add clear notes in each source file indicating that they have
modified our source and indicating the license for the derivative work
(if it is not the AL).

IMHO the matter of releasing the combined work under the GPL should be
left to the FSF, not the ASF. not everyone agrees that the apache
license is incompatible with GPLv2. apache respects the views of the FSF
on this matter for ethical reasons (not legal ones). it would be
courteous to inform the FSF about possible GPL issues with the codebase
but leave compliance to the FSF.

BTW might be a good idea to run the email you intend to send past
legal-internal before you send it

- robert