www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: MySQL licensing policy]
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:53:21 GMT
El sáb, 07-04-2007 a las 19:01 +0800, Niclas Hedhman escribió:
> On Saturday 07 April 2007 18:50, Roland Weber wrote:
> > The safe way is a clean room implementation: let person A
> > analyse the GPLed code and write a specification of the protocol.
> > Then let person B, who never looked at the GPLed code, implement
> > the protocol "in a clean room", based exclusively on the spec
> > written by person A.
>
> How can the "specification of the protocol" not be derivative work, and there
> would also need to be GPL'd??
> IP rights are not limited to a particular medium, form or format.
>
> Cheers

The "specification of the protocol" is a derivative work of the protocol
itself, not of the code.

My (probably naive, IANAL, etc.) take on those questions is: if you get
a legal copy of a protocol "description/manual/book", and you implement
the protocol, you are not in any violation:

a) You are not copying the protocol "expression" -> you are not
infringing the copyright on the protocol "book" (but don't even try to
put the description of the protocol in the manual)
b) You are not a derivative of the original implementation of such
protocol -> you are free to license your code.

This is in a world where the protocol can't be patented (I live in such
a world, EC). If, in the world where you live, the protocol is patented,
you are still free to license your code and publish it in source form,
but when *using it* you would be subject to possible patent violations.

Regards
Santiago