www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL3 and AL2 compatability
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:35:11 GMT
On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 06:59 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

<snip>

> > Can we work with the FSF with respect to section 9 of the AL2?
>
> Howso?  By lessening the protection we afford to upstream contributors
> by the act of a downstream contributor offering a warranty where there
> was none?  How does that serve the ASF's interest in protecting the
> developers of ASL licensed software?

+1

the FSF have chosen an odd point to make their stand this time. if the
GPL3 allows warranty to be disclaimed by the author then AL2 is
compatible. if the GPL3 does not allow warranty to be effectively
disclaimed by the author then this is likely to deter adoption of GPL3.

perhaps they haven't really thought through the implications of this
interpretation thoroughly.

- robert