www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Wikipedia content, GNU Free Documentation License and Apache
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:01:59 GMT
We on Lucene Java are _considering_ mirroring a specific version of
Wikipedia's collection for testing and benchmarking purposes on our
zones account for people to download to run specific tests related to
search performance and quality.  It is important that we use a
specific version so that it is repeatable. WikiMedia doesn't archive
for long enough for their links to be reliable, therefore we cannot
just grab the latest version from Wikipedia.  See [1] for more
details if interested.

The content, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GFDL, is licensed under the GNU Free
Documentation License.  More details can be found at [2].

I guess the question is, is this all right?  http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights seems to say this would be OK, but IANAL
and all that stuff.  Anyone have experience with how ASF deals with
the GFDL in this kind of situation?  I suppose we could look into
hosting off site, too, but would rather it be controlled by us.

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/47760

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

official ASF policies and documents.