www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache license 2.1 and 2.2?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:57:19 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote on 03/30/2007 10:02:45
AM:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> > Now I really am talking about stuff I don't understand, so I'm going
> > wait for Cliff to tell me just how close/far off the mark I am with
the
> > above comments (remember Cliff heard these concerns first hand).
>
> Ditto :)  I'll also be interested particularly in Jeffery's feedback if
> he has a few minutes to drop in on this thread (as an example of the
> thoughts for a company with a -very- broad patent portfolio in the
> corporate sector.)

I would provide a more meaningful response, but I do not fully understand
their position.  The Apache License 2.0 only requires that Contributors
license patents that they have the ability to license.  If their position
is that through joint development agreements or other exclusive licensing
arrangements they do not have the right to license certain patents, I'll
take their word for it, but I don't see the conflict.  I expect that I'm
missing something.
Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/