www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Addendum to CCLA of Day Management
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:29:19 GMT

On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> On 2/27/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:
>>> David, no problem. We just need You to fill out another CCLA
>>> and note changes and mark the CCLA as an addendum to the one
>>> currently on file. You can FAX it to us (410-803-2258) or
>>> Email a scanned copy of the signed-and-filled-out CCLA
>>> to secretary@apache.org *and* legal-archive@apache.org.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.  The CCLA is designed to be updated by
> the point of contact (David) -- all he has to do is send the ASF
> an email message to do so.  The legality and signatures to that effect
> have already been established by the original CCLA.
>
> Creating a new CCLA each time the contact wants to add an addendum
> is a very bad idea -- it means we have to have the entire text
> approved by Day legal, again, and have two officers of the company
> sign it.  I am sure that other companies have similar restrictions
> on IP licensing.  That is why the CCLA was designed for addendums
> to simply be communicated (in any written fashion) to the ASF.

Certainly we need to ensure that the entity/person
making the changes is legally entitled to do so.
With Email so easy to spoof, assuming it's not GPG signed,
we have no guarantee that David is David.

I do not interpret such updates as "submissions" as defined
in 1. Definitions. So since this is a change to a legal
document between 2 parties, it's not unreasonable, imo,
to ensure that there is clear tracking of those changes.