www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:31:46 GMT
On Mar 13, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I don't think we can draw this line here - if the distribution will
> contain the 3rd party library then keeping it in SVN seems prudent.
> Otherwise you're at the whim and mercy of a 3rd party URL.

So?  That URL will change.  If it disappears entirely, you had better
have the source code on hand anyway.

> In many cases I suspect we don't keep it in SVN simply because it's
> available from the Maven repository - so be it, but I don't think we
> can take those cases to be the rule.

No, we don't keep it in SVN because it is a big honking file that
isn't subject to version control and isn't in open source code form.
Our foundation creates open source and ONLY open source -- binaries
are only redistributed as a convenience to end-users with releases.
If we have third-party code in subversion, then it is in source code
form and it is there because we have made local changes.  Otherwise,
the module should not be in subversion -- it should be downloaded by
whatever build script is used by the developers to construct a
testable package.

The only exceptions are for subversion modules that are not products,
like the site modules that usually contain whatever jars are necessary
to build the site.

....Roy