www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:58:54 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 16 March 2007 07:56, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>>    Apple, when you buy Mac OS X, grants you a license to use Perl
>> under the terms of the Artistic License.  It is the only license
>> granted to you by Apple.
>
> IANAL, but AFAIU it is not for Apple to grant that license. The Perl copyright
> owner grants the license, and Apple can't stop the original Perl license to
> apply.

Uhm - Artistic is the Perl license (as well as GPL).  One can use the GPL
Perl license terms, Apple didn't.  Actually, Apple could claim their OS
warranty and service terms only apply to the Artistic-licensed Perl shipped
by Apple, not that it wouldn't be a distinction without a difference.

That's also not to say that Apple doesn't customize their Perl sans-sources,
although I'm 99% certain Apple's Perl sources are completely transparent.