www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: CMr - Plug-in engine discussion on javalobby!
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:03:55 GMT
Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>
>> * either use dual licensing. But then I can't give them any good
>> examples of other open source projects following this path, so they
>> may be reluctant to go with it;
>
> There is at least one project i know of which uses dial licensing:
>   http://woodstox.codehaus.org/FAQ#FAQ-3.1Licensing
>
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
>> * or switch to another license that would satisfy both (L)GPL and
>> Apache downstream users. If I understand correctly, a revised BSD
>> license [1], [2] satisfies this requirement, so it looks like the best
>> bet.

Right - there is an example of the most complex sort, GPL + ASF licensing
in http://apache.webthing.com/svn/apache/apr/apr_dbd_mysql.c - because
it literally plugs ASL apr portability layer into GPL mysql client.
This is quite fine with AB (licensor of MySQL) who wrote the exception
clause to their GPL for plugging in any FLOSS into MySQL.  Since some
would say this plug in layer must be ASL, and some would say it must
be GPL, Nick simply dual-licensed these connector sources.