www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:45:32 GMT
On 2/20/07, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > OK, just to double check:
> >
> > I can include outside works (the javascript libraries) in my project.
> >
> > The libraries will be checked into Apache SVN, but will maintain the
> > copyright notice of the original author.
>
> If they are outside libraries and you are not making changes to them,
> then they don't belong in our subversion.  They should only be added
> to release builds.

Sorry for getting to this one late.

I don't think we can draw this line here - if the distribution will
contain the 3rd party library then keeping it in SVN seems prudent.
Otherwise you're at the whim and mercy of a 3rd party URL.

In many cases I suspect we don't keep it in SVN simply because it's
available from the Maven repository - so be it, but I don't think we
can take those cases to be the rule.

Hen