www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: JBoss trademark issue
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:37:52 GMT
On Sunday 25 March 2007 23:58, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I'm familiar with what happened there.  But that's independent of the
> trademark issue you bring up..

Agree. Let's move JBoss out of the equation. My mistake to assume it was a
well-understood scenario.

The question revolves around;

1.  WXYZ community was created, by a group of people who likes WX.
2.  The project change name to XYZ
3.  John Doe registers the XYZ trademark privately.
4.  The community grows, and project becomes successful.
5.  Many companies provides support and other services around XYZ.
6.  John Doe and others starts XYZ Corp.
7.  XYZ Inc enforces trademark protection against some of the
    very people who made it successful.

Any suggestions on how to pre-empt such scenario, so that people who has been
involved or observed this happening in the past is not reluctant to
collaborate on new exciting technologies.

I think the key is XYZ trademark, and possibly XYZ Corp.

Cheers
Niclas