www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject JBoss trademark issue
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:48:25 GMT

Gang,

We all know what happened to JBoss open source project, JBoss trademark owned
by Marc Fleury and JBoss Inc aggressive protection of the trademark.

For fledgling open source projects, that are not backed by ASF/FSF, are there
any tips on what can be done to avoid future community disaster of such kind.
For instance, are there any ways to "disable" trademarks from future
registrations? If not, what else can be done to calm the participants from
same thing happening again?

The only thing I can think of myself is that someone registers the trademark,
and license it perpetually, just like source code. But whoever that is, isn't
likely to "protect" the trademark (too costly), and I recall that the
statement being "If you don't protect it, you loose it."

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Niclas