www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: JBoss trademark issue
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:40:24 GMT
We tried to work with the community as an group independent of the
JBoss company, but it was very difficult to communicate without
stepping on the trademark.

I think it would be very helpful to have an "OSI Approved" trademark
grant along with the "OSI Approved" license.  It would help set
expectations of open source communities on what is acceptable
trademark practice.  As a newbie open source when I started working
on EJBoss, I was not aware of what Marc was doing with Tradmarc was
not such a good idea for an open community.  Once the software was
developed, he use the trademark very effectively to create a closed
community and cut off the ability of others to offer support and
training for JBoss (google for "jboss german trademark").

-dain