www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:29:52 GMT
OK, just to double check:

I can include outside works (the javascript libraries) in my project.

The libraries will be checked into Apache SVN, but will maintain the
copyright notice of the original author.

I'll include a LICENSE.txt file for the javascript libraries, and
update NOTICE.txt to identify the library and the name of its license.

The JavaScript library will appear in distribution via Maven and via
traditional bin/src downloads.

... that covers my needs for JavaScript. The particular libraries in
question are Prototype and Scriptaculous, but may grow to include
Dojo, jQuery and jMaki over time.

... now, can the same thing apply to redistributing JARs for
non-Apache Java software?  In this case, its a redistribution of OGNL
and Javassist. Neither is LGPL(OGNL is MPL-derivative, Javassist is
MPL) and they would be redistributed only inside the binary
distribution as a packaged JAR (without source).  Because of Maven
there would be no need to include the JARs nside Apache's SVN. Again,
include licenses, keep NOTICE.txt up to date, but we're OK?

This is a bit of a departure from my previous understanding, which may
have been wrong due to my lack of grey matter, or just bad
information.

Feedback?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship