www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jesse Kuhnert" <jkuhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:34:15 GMT
I'm not sure if it's still relevant but I did update our NOTICE file
to mention the Dojo licensing -  (not sure if I had done that yet ) as
well as placing their license file alongside ours.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry4/trunk/NOTICE.txt?view=co

http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/browser/trunk/LICENSE?format=raw

If there's any issues with anything on the Dojo side feel free to ping
me or Alex of course. (alex atnot.X dojotoolkit.org )

On 2/20/07, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> >
> >> Where it gets interesting is that I think we have then baked in the
> >> usage as a BSD license and we need to make sure that our users don't
> >> use it as an Academic Free License. This thread would be better
> >> placed
> >> on legal-discuss@.
>
> The license comes from the copyright owner.  No matter how we distribute
> the code, we cannot change the terms offered by the copyright owner
> unless we are given a separate license to do so by that owner (e.g.,
> CLA).
> We might add additional terms for our collective work, but those terms
> do not apply to the individual part if it is extracted from our work
> and used on its own.
>
> In any case, most copyright licenses only apply when making copies
> for non-personal use, so it really doesn't matter to users.
>
> ....Roy

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer