www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Source File Headers - are they a MUST?
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:07:17 GMT
On 2/1/07, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> * It's okay to not put the header in if the license header is large
> compared to the size of the license header and the size of source file
> is a detriment to the value of the product.

That's the *only* exception I view as justified - i.e. if it's a one
or two-line javascript file, the license header is understandably a
bit much and would have a negative impact on the application as it
must be transferred each time.

But, IMHO, as a matter of policy, any compiled or server-side
interpreted source code MUST have the current and correct license
header.  I just don't view that as up for discussion.  Any PMC which
releases code that doesn't have the license header should immediately
pull it - or the Board should direct Infra to pull all their releases
if they won't be bothered.  -- justin