www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: FAQs on the CLA
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:32:38 GMT
Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> There is, of course, a theoretical exposure that someone could try to game
> this and contribute code that implements most of a patent claim knowing
> that someone else is going to contribute the rest at some point.  I do not
> know how practical that is and for someone actively contributing to the
> codebase, I'd expect that to be nearly impossible, but we might want to
> recommend that committers keep half an eye out for it just to be safe.

It's a valid concern, and something we might not even note (the patents
not being made known to us.)  I think a third FAQ entry/statement on patent
'poisoning', e.g. deliberately committing code in such a way that would
inevitably trigger one's own patents when non-functional code is made
functional - this should probably be addressed.

Bill