www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Detailed documentation for software grant procedure? (Was: Re: heartbeat and connection monitoring)
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:46:43 GMT
> 2007-02-18 (일), 17:46 +0200, Eero Nevalainen 쓰시길:

> > Thank you Robert and Alex for your explanations. I took a look at
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/ and http://incubator.apache.org/.
> > The CCLA and software grant seem appropriate to me but the Incubator
> > process sounds like overkill, because it's just four classes.

Incubator has a so called "IP Clearance" process, which is in place for these
kind of situations. It is a matter of properly recording the contribution and
have everything on file in known locations.

Once the paperwork is done, you commit in the code in Incubator, get an ACK
from the Incubator PMC, then make a svn copy to the project. With a bit of
flow it can be done in a week or so.

> > - What kind of extra security does the employee "whitelisting" bring? If
> >  we have a malevolent/incompetent new employee who posts company code,
> > are we somehow more protected?

It means that the company explicitly states who has the blessing of the
company to contribute. The purpose varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
One of the major points is that the company signals that "Hey, we know that
these individuals are working on ASF codebases, and that is fine with us.",
so that the company later can't come running saying "That code is ours..."
even if it has clearly been developed in an open manner.

If an employee contributes code that are not intended for open sourcing, I
think the ASF will "play nice" and pull it as soon as a flag is raised to the
Board. Your legal standing with the individual, though, would depend on your
jurisdiction and the role of the individual in the company. I doubt that the
CCLA would bring any additional favours.
The "IP Clearance" process also exist as a watchdog against this. Any larger
contribution would hit the Incubator first, and the company would need to
sign off. If the individual claim and signs that it is "private code", the
company will have a very strong case of fraud and misrepresentation, thanks
to the "IP Clearance" process.

I hope that answers some of the questions.

Cheers
Niclas