www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanc...@wsanchez.net>
Subject Re: FAQs on the CLA
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:31 GMT
On Feb 20, 2007, at 11:27 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>>
>>> Q2: If at any time after my contribution, I am able to license other
>>> patent claims that would have been subject to Apache's Grant of
>>> Patent
>>> License if they were licenseable by me at the time of my
>>> contribution,
>>> do those other claims become subject to the Grant of Patent License?
>>>
>>> A2. Yes
>>
>>   I have a really hard time reading the question.
>> If...that...if...do?
>> You hurt my head.
>
> You commit feature X.  Six months later, you patent X.  Yes, your
> commit is
> subject to the patent grant.

   Yeah.  This I agree with.  But I don't think that Q2 says that.
The main problem is "able to license" could mean "able to grant
licenses" or could mean "able to obtain licenses", and that lends to
pretty different interpretations.

   It's important that FAQs be unambiguous, because what we say about
the license and its terms can be used in court as well as the license
itself.

   How about:

   Q2: If I contribute to a Work and later obtain a patent that
contains claims which are exercised by the contribution, do those
other claims become subject to the Grant of Patent License?

	-wsv