www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Detailed documentation for software grant procedure? (Was: Re: heartbeat and connection monitoring)
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:53:14 GMT
Hi,

MINA PMC is trying to deal with software grant process, but I don't have
enough knowledge on this area.  People at legal-discuss could help
me. :)

2007-02-18 (일), 17:46 +0200, Eero Nevalainen 쓰시길:
> <flush quotes>
>
> Thank you Robert and Alex for your explanations. I took a look at
> http://www.apache.org/legal/ and http://incubator.apache.org/.
> The CCLA and software grant seem appropriate to me but the Incubator
> process sounds like overkill, because it's just four classes.
>
> I got an "All ok" from my bosses on friday. Benoit: If you're not in
> hurry I can probably get the details cleared for Mon 26. or one week
> from that at the latest. (I have a week of vacation starting today).
>

> Practical stuff:
> At the end of the Corporate CLA are Schedules A and B. I understand
> we're supposed to replace the content in brackets. Few questions:
>
> - What kind of extra security does the employee "whitelisting" bring? If
>  we have a malevolent/incompetent new employee who posts company code,
> are we somehow more protected?

AFAIK, there's no protection for such a situation, but I guess
legal-discuss list might give us a better answer.

It's here: http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

> After I've faxed our CCLA and my CLA is there something else that needs
> to be done before sending code? Also, what's the preferred way to
> actually transfer the code?

I couldn't find a detailed documentation on this process.  Robert once
raised this issue, but I can't find any answer either.

> Visibility stuff:
> <quote Robert>
> > apache seems comfortable with an attribution in the NOTICE file
> > similar to the apache notice:
> >
> > "This product includes software developed at The Apache Software
> > Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
> >
> > for example http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/NOTICE
> >
> > if the company is looking for more than that (for example, links from
> > the web site) then this is leading into areas outside the comfort
> > zone...
>
> The mention in the NOTICE file seems fine. I was originally thinking
> about maybe leaving something like "Thanks to Indagon for the original"
> in the class files, WDYT?

It sounds OK to me.

Please refer to the original thread if you are interested in the whole
story:

Please refer to the following thread to find more out:

http://www.nabble.com/heartbeat-and-connection-monitoring-tf3213604.html

Thanks in advance,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/