www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanc...@wsanchez.net>
Subject Re: When is a derivative not a derivative?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:08:57 GMT
   The compilation can't be called Apache, but it is certainly
reasonable to say that it includes Apache, unless they've modified it,
in which case it is no longer Apache.

   As to Bill's original question, my understanding has always been
that "enhancements and bugfixes" make it not Apache unless you get
permission saying otherwise from the ASF.

   When I first ported Apache to Rhapsody, I got special permission
for Apple to continue using the name.  In exchanges, we agreed to make
every effort to integrate our patches into Apache in a reasonable time
frame, so as to eliminate the differences, and we published the
patched sources online in the meantime.

	-wsv