www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Mahmood, Anwar" <anwar.mahm...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Re: License]
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:43:29 GMT
Dear Mr Fielding,

Following internal discussion and based on the view that the software is
already released we are agreeable to entering into a grant with ASF on
the terms of the revised grant document you referred to in your email as
attached.

Many thanks for bearing with us on this over December it seems
historical events have made the debate a little academic.

Regards
Anwar

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com]
Sent: 23 December 2006 21:00
To: Mahmood, Anwar
Cc: akarasulu@apache.org; legal-discuss@apache.org; Kunchur, Nitin
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: License]

On Dec 23, 2006, at 4:10 AM, Mahmood, Anwar wrote:

> Dear Mr Fielding,
>
> Thank you for your mail the contents of which I will take further
> instructions from our commercial management.
>
> Our original proposal was that we license to the foundation on the
> Apache version 2.0 license terms. The issues that have arisen are a
> result of the Foundations license grant document which included terms
> which were in our view in divergence to releasing the software as open

> source. We do not propose to introduce restrictions that are not in
> your version 2.0 license and will compare the terms to ensure they are

> consistent.

It may be easier to use the more recent form of the software grant that
was created along with the 2.0 license (the one you are working from is
still valid, but was written before the 2.0 license was adopted).  This
newer grant form is at

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

and does include a statement from the ASF that "the Foundation shall not
use Your Contributions in a way that is contrary to the public benefit
or inconsistent with its nonprofit status and bylaws in effect at the
time of the Contribution".  I added that statement years ago to satisfy
concerns similar to yours.

It is also best if you choose the attribution you would like us to
include in the NOTICE file.  For example, when Day Software contributed
the code for Jackrabbit, we requested the sentence

    Based on source code originally developed by
    Day Software (http://www.day.com/).

and that is now in the NOTICE file for all of the Jackrabbit products.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>
V.P., Apache HTTP Server                   <http://httpd.apache.org/>