www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: easier IP clearance
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:46:20 GMT
On Monday 08 January 2007 08:23, Henri Yandell wrote:

> To use an example - can the ASF give code to the FSF? Does the CLA
> give us the ability to hand that code on to someone else?

No. Because FSF (as you noted) requires Copyright Ownership, and that ASF
doesn't have, hence can't give.

> The FSF system does allow for it to give code to the ASF (I think), so
> it may be that if another project wants to set things up with the
> ability to have easy grants of code to the ASF (or even a CLA that
> makes it very easy), that they would need to have an FSF model of the
> copyright ownership being transferred rather than our model of
> granting?

This seems like an accurate description.

To comment on Robert's original question;

Isn't the issue revolving around "Why does ASF require the Software Grant and
CLA?", if the code is already Apache licensed? My understanding is that the
license is not authorative enough, and ASF wants double assurance from the
Copyright owner that the code is clear, and somewhere to funnel a potential
future investigation. If that is so, then your proposal is probably not going
to work.

Cheers
Niclas