www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CLA vs Grant
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:03:00 GMT
On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 11:24 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 05:39, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > However, I'd be fine with exceptions on a case-by-case basis though.
> > For example, if a project is already open-sourced and under the ALv2
> > and wants to move here, then a CLA from contributors is likely to be
> > enough.  But, for a work that comes from a closed source work, I feel
> > that a software grant is required - even if every committer already
> > has a CLA on file.
>
> This is an interesting paragraph as it mixes up the differences between "Open
> Source" (i.e. licensing) with "Open Development" (i.e. the processes).
>
> Justin, I think Henri also refers to a simple case of; I sit in my chambers
> and hacking on some "stuff", perhaps as an experiment, and somewhere down the
> line I want to move it into a project at ASF. It is not open nor closed
> source (no license yet), nor open development (done in my study at home).
> But, many larger chunks of code happens exactly that way, I develop it, see if
> it can work, if so commit and post a notice for comments...
>
> So I would also like to know where are the official boundaries?

IANAO but AIUI this is delegated to the incubator PMC since all
contributions which are not originally created for apache should be
filtered through the incubator. so that's where i think the line lies.

> Personally, I think that any codebase that has only existed on existing
> committers' own system and not been distributed, need no additional grant.

CLAs are a lot more difficult to audit than software grants. software
grants are much cleaner and clearer. so, i would encourage projects
accepting any substantial code base to use a software grant.

(i could list a number of examples where a lack of a software grant has
caused difficulties years later...)

- robert