www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dan Diephouse" <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 dependencies mostly with ASL ?
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 06:39:21 GMT
Hi Paul

On 12/27/06, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:

> As for xmlbeans, it seems, indeed, that there's a stax that's apache
> licensed... But why is there no pointer as to when or how?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlbeans/trunk/NOTICE.txt?view=markup&pathrev=312915
> this seems to mention some stax (jsr-173) is under apache license. the
> referenced project is a C++ project, nothing related, related seems
> http://www.xmlpull.org/ but that is not StAX!

The StAX reference implementation was originally based on xmlpull I
believe, so that is where that reference comes from.

> I seem always *very very dubious* every time I see a javax.* or java.*
> package that is under Apache license (I know jaxp has gone such, and
> heard for such alone). The only valid StAX license I know of is:
>
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=streaming_xml-1.0-fr-spec-oth-JSpec&SiteId=JCP&TransactionId=noreg
> Not surprisingly the javax files found at the downloads of
> stax.codehaus.org are all copyright BEA or Sun... and do not contain any
> NOTICE file...
>
> paul

The stax api issue is a very confusing one. I believe BEA has assured
us in the past the StAX API jar is indeed Apache licensed. There is
probably a thread in the legal-discuss archive somewhere documenting
this. I personally would like to see the Sun site updated to reflect
this, and have encouraged the stax group to do so, but its never been
done to my knowledge.

- Dan
--
Dan Diephouse