www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 05:28:32 GMT
On Sunday 31 December 2006 04:14, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> james would like to accept an implementation of Yahoo! DomainKeys.
> Yahoo! disclose that they believe this potential IEFT standard to be
> encumbered. they make the following patent license available for
> implementation developers:
> http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys/patentlicense1-2.html.
>
> is it acceptable for an apache project to include source that is
> believed to be encumbered by patents licensable under the above terms?
>
> (note: that this specification is going to be present to the IEFT for
> standardisation and that 3.1 is the only term that i can see which may
> prevent sublicensing under the AL2.0)

IANAL,
but my take at it is that 3.1 doesn't seem to be the problem per se, as ASF
has no problems licensing its patents to Yahoo!
But, in combination with 3.6, where downstream licensees has to agree to this
license, that is probably not acceptable.
3.6 in combination with the retaliation clause 3.2 may also pose a problem.

Cheers
Niclas