www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Tom Gould" <tgo...@roguewave.com>
Subject CxxTest and Apache Projects
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:17:37 GMT
Hello-

Rogue Wave Software has been in discussions with members of the Tuscany
Project as we would like to provide our test suite to the open source
project.  Rogue Wave has written SOA oriented tests for both Java and
C++.  We have run into a problem while trying to donate our C++ tests to
the Tuscany Project.  The following email thread explains the current
situation.  We still hope to provide our C++ code to the Tuscany
project, but in order to do this, we need Apache's legal to make a
ruling.

Thanks

Tom

Tom Gould

Development Manager - Hydra

Rogue Wave Software, a Quovadx (tm) division

303.545.3148 (office)

303.618.6402 (mobile)

tgould@roguewave.com <mailto:tgould@roguewave.com>

Sam,

Thank you for your response.  Like Apache, Rogue Wave avoids GPL, and I
think for the same reasons.  The code in question (test suite for
Tuscany) is a combination of Cxxtest (the open source GPL code - not
ours) and Rogue Wave code (our tests, etc.).  We would like to donate
this to the Tuscany project to save them time, but if it doesn't work
out that's ok, they will just have to write their own test suite.

We use this test suite with HydraSDO, our commercial SDO product, and
our legal did not feel that the GPL component was an issue for our
product, but Apache may have other considerations.  Since Cxxtest does
not belong to RW, we can't change the license.  If it was ours, I would
be happy to - I certainly wouldn't create anything GPL here ;)

Tom will discuss this on legal-discuss@apache.org and see what they
think.

Regards,

Patrick