www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: ASL-violation by Google
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:39:16 GMT
On 11/12/06, "Gilbert R. Röhrbein" <g.roehrbein@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Google Video Player uses OpenSSL which is licenced under the Apache
> Server Licence, but a LICENSE and a NOTICE file is missing. There is no
> info that there is used ASL licenced software.
>
> Thought you should know.

First off, according to the LICENSE file in OpenSSL 0.9.8d it isn't
under the Apache License, it's under it's own license, which appears
to be BSDish, and the SSLeay license, which also appears to be BSDish.

Second, even if it was under the Apache License, we wouldn't be the
ones to enforce that license.  You'd have to talk to the OpenSSL
group.  The Apache Software Foundation is not responsible for policing
the users of every program that happens to be licensed under one of
our licenses, and even if we wanted to, legally we couldn't.

-garrett